Activities conducted by the Department
During the current year, 11,894 fresh applicants have registered at the various employment Exchanges for job assistance. The total number of registered applicants is 69, 253.
There is a Self-Employment Promotion Cell (SEPC) in the Regional Employment Exchange, Kohima which co-ordinates Self-Employment promotional activities. A total of 546 candidates were registered, out of which 177 were placed in various Self-Employment ventures during the current financial year.
3.Physically Handicapped Cell:
A special Cell for Physically Handicapped applicants established with Central assistance has been merged with the Regional Employment Exchange, Kohima. At present there are 1115 applicants on the Live Register of Employment Exchanges under Physically Handicapped category.
4.Employment Market Information:
Under the Employment Exchanges (Compulsory Notification of Vacancies) Act 1959, the Employment Exchanges are empowered to collect various Employment Statistics from all public and private sectors employing more 24 persons. Under this Act, the Department can also collect information from the private sector units employing 10 to 24 persons on voluntary basis. E.M.I. programme does not give the accurate picture of employment as it does not include all establishments in private sectors, Military establishments, High court & State Legislative Assembly.
5.Craftsmen Training Scheme (CTS)
- There are 8 (eight) Industrial Training Institutes in the State, imparting training in 22 trades (14 Engineering and 8 Non-engineering).
- Till date, 8125 trainees have passed the All India Trade Test (AITT) and currently 825 candidates have been enrolled for undergoing training.
6. Apprenticeship Training Programme:
Under the Apprenticeship Training Programme, 50 trainees have successfully passed the Apprenticeship Exam. At present, 15 apprentices are engaged in various establishment under the scheme.
7.Year of Construction Workers:
The construction industry has witnessed a vertical growth over the last decade. however, the workforce is not skilled enough to meet the demand and challenges of this rapid growth. Looking at the skill gaps of the workforce that the state is facing and the uphill task of fulfilling the demands in the near future, the State Govt. declared the “Year of Construction Workers” with the Department of Employment, Skill Development & Entrepreneurship as the Nodal Department. Through this initiative the skills of 550 existing construction workers (50 from each district) have been upgraded.
8.Aspiration & Capacity Mapping Study:
- The ‘Aspirations & Opportunity Mapping Study’, covered all the 74 Blocks in the 11 districts of the State. The study involved the youths, village councils, women folk, Church and District administration to participate in the selection of the priorities to be pursued in their local area, which would bring out an informed study about the needs and aspirations of the local population.
- The Study will help in designing the skills and livelihoods programs that will be disseminated to the people, making sure that the programs are specific to every District. In addition, it will give an opportunity to develop entrepreneurs at the village level and up-the-value-chain young entrepreneurs.
9.Collaborations for Direct Recruitment:
- The Department collaborated with Indigo Airlines for Direct Recruitment of the youths as Cabin crew and Ground Operations Officer in Indigo Airlines. 6 youths have been recruited as Ground Operations Officer and 6 have been shortlisted for final round of interview as Cabin Crew
- In addition, the Department has also partnered with Maruti Suzuki Ltd for a recruitment drive at Govt. ITI Kohima campus. 4 have been recruited as Service Technicians and 4 as Service Advisors.
- The Department has also initiated a recruitment drive with Jet Airways during 26th & 27th September, 2017 at Dimapur and Kohima respectively and 6 (six) candidates have been recruited.
10.Training at World Class Skills Center (WCSC), VivekVihar, New Delhi:
- Through NEC funding, 7 youths were successfully trained at World Class Skill Center, VivekVihar, New Delhi and placed during 2015. A batch of 19 candidates are currently undergoing training in Hospitality Sector and Retail Sector.
11.Collaboration with IIT Madras:
- Since there are no skilling programs (Central Govt. or State Govt.) to enhance the employable skills of the diploma or graduate engineers, the Department has pioneered a collaboration with Indian Institute of Technology, Madras to impart a 2 months skilling program. The first batch of 9 graduate engineers have already been trained at IIT Madras.
- Outcomes in terms of job:
- Two participants have got admissions for Masters program at China.
- Four participants have been engaged in Research Projects at IIT Madras with a starting salary between Rs. 10, 000 – Rs. 16, 500/- P.M
One participant have got a job in BMW, Madras a leading car manufacturer
12.Job & Career Fair 2017:
- Since the youths represent a valuable resource to the economy and society, promoting more and better opportunities will be one of the key dimensions for a stable and prosperous society.
In order to generate opportunities and access to jobs in the private sector, a common platform under the aegis of “Nagaland Career Workshop & Job Mela 2017” was organised during November, 2017 at Dimapur for the youths to interact with top recruiters in the corporate world and grab job opportunities.